Dear Prospective Applicants
Welcome, and thank you for your interest in our program! As Program Director, I take great pride in the breadth and depth of experiences available to our pediatric residents at Kaiser Permanente, preparing our trainees to be leaders in any pediatric field they choose. We provide outstanding training in a setting that strongly values equitable healthcare and community advocacy. Our physicians have the incredible privilege of caring for one of the most diverse patient populations in the country. With our emphasis on innovative technology, evidence-based medicine and quality improvement and scholarship, we bring together the best aspects of a community and academic pediatric residency program. We invite you to explore our website, Instagram, and reach out to our residents or faculty to ask them about their experience. We truly believe that Kaiser Permanente is an exceptional place to learn and grow as a pediatrician.
Nami Jhaveri, MD, MPH
Residency Program Director
“When people talk about the future of health care, Kaiser Permanente is often the model they have in mind.”
Our Mission & Values
In keeping with Kaiser Permanente’s mission for equitable health care for all patients, our training program focuses on community and advocacy and working with a diverse patient population. Our mission is to train compassionate, highly skilled, socially responsible clinicians who are strong advocates for their patients and the surrounding community. We will achieve this by providing:
- Outstanding training in Pediatric Medicine that provides a depth and breadth of experiences and prepares physicians to be leaders in any pediatric field they choose.
- Train in a diverse urban setting that aims to educate pediatricians to achieve racial, economic, and equitable care to improve individual and community health
- Provide training in an integrated health system that models best practices for training, working and receiving care.
Highlights of our Program
- Dedicated clinical faculty provide guidance, mentoring and teaching. Each resident has a dedicated mentor and advisor assigned starting at orientation.
- Excellent Fellowship Match.
- Dedicated research coordinator who mentors our residents in their scholarship activities, with the support of our Division of Research.
Visit our curriculum page for more details.
- Academic Half Day
- Protected conference time weekly; consists of interactive lectures, board review, procedure workshops, mock codes and more
- One of the first residencies in the country to adopt this
- Helps support deeper clinical engagement and wellness
- Individualized experiences (away rotations, medical education, health policy)
- Masters in Public Health Track
- Our program believes that we are best able to empathize with and care effectively for our patients when we take care of ourselves and each other. In 2015, we started an integrated wellness curriculum that continues to evolve with active resident participation and support from program leadership. The curriculum includes wellness activities lead by residents or faculty during academic half day, peer mentor families and other group activities such as weekend hikes and biannual retreats.
- Every resident has access to confidential mental health services including free counseling through our Employee Assistance Program
- We are firmly committed to diversity and inclusion in our residency program and in our work to create a workforce that mirrors the communities we serve. Our commitment to inclusion includes race, gender, age, religion, identity and experience. We believe diversity drives innovation, creates stronger teams and leads to better medical outcomes.
- Our residents engage in community-based partnerships through our REACH (Resident Education in Advocacy and Community) program. They also have opportunities to participate in pipeline programs by mentoring local high school, college and medical students from underrepresented backgrounds.
- All residents participate in 8 hours of protected educational time led by professional DEI trainers on essential topics such as cultural humility and anti-racism.
- Residents may choose to pursue a community or global health rotation with GME funding support to offset travel and living expenses.
- Kaiser is a pillar of healthcare in our local community. A third of East Bay residents are Kaiser members. At the same time Kaiser is a model for healthcare nationally with the goal of equitable healthcare to all patients regardless of income or resources and to provide the highest quality care to all their patients.
- We provide comprehensive, integrated care to our community of patients across the continuum of care. Kaiser Oakland Medical Center, our primary training site, is a pediatric referral center for KP Northern California, creating a rich learning environment for our residents. Examples include our inpatient patient and family centered rounds, clinic morning huddles, and multidisciplinary specialty clinics.
Leapfrog Report: 25 best hospitals for pediatrics
Learn more about living in Oakland here.