The Kaiser Permanente Clinical HIV fellowship is based in Oakland and San Francisco. It is designed to train Internal Medicine or Family Medicine physicians to become leaders in HIV medicine.
- Close collaboration and teaching opportunities with the Kaiser Permanente Oakland and San Francisco multidisciplinary HIV programs.
- Diverse community partnerships in the Bay Area, including optional clinical experiences at local community hospitals, San Francisco city clinics, and prison system.
- Unique opportunity for research and/or quality improvement with the support of a dedicated research staff and physicians in the Kaiser Permanente Northern California Division of Research.
- Optional funded global health rotation.
During this 1-year clinical fellowship (2nd year optional to pursue additional interests), fellows will provide longitudinal Primary Care to people living with HIV while engaging in mentored projects focused on improving care for people living with HIV and HIV prevention.
- Fellows will be based primarily at both KP Oakland and San Francisco HIV clinics, where they will provide primary care to a longitudinal panel of patients. Fellows will spend an equal amount of time at each site.
- Fellows will rotate on the inpatient HIV/ID service at KP Oakland and San Francisco for 4 weeks.
- Fellows will also rotate at subspecialty clinics including anal dysplasia, transgender health, viral hepatitis, HIV prevention (HIV PrEP), addiction medicine/psychiatry, and dermatology.
- In addition, fellows may choose community clinic electives and pursue further training working with patients of unique language and cultural backgrounds, and with the under-served, homeless, or incarcerated populations.
Fellows are allowed to participate in up to 4 weeks of Kaiser Permanente-sponsored international medical experiences at KP Global Health sites such as:
- Honduras – ENLACE foundation
- Ecuador – Cacha Medical Spanish Institute
- Guatemala – Hospital de La Familia
- Kenya – The Matibabu/Tiba Foundations
- Zambia – University Teaching Hospital
- Vietnam – Da Nang General Hospital
- Tibet – Tibetan Delek Hospital