Physician leaders of tomorrow can shape our communities today
We are proud of Kaiser Permanente’s social mission, research, clinical expertise, and leadership efforts in helping communities thrive. As part of this mission, we recognize the potential of future physicians and their contributions by offering $5,000 scholarships to fourth-year medical students selected for their demonstrated commitment to under-served communities.
- Be a current third-year medical student in good academic standing who expects to graduate in the spring of 2021
- Interested in seeking a residency in Northern California
- Attend an accredited medical, osteopathic or podiatric school
- Scholarship recipients will be encouraged to participate in a one-month clerkship at a Kaiser Permanente facility in Northern California during their fourth year of medical school
How to apply
- Complete and submit the online application
- Open application timeline: September 1 – November 30, 2019
- Curriculum vitae
- Short essay describing your community involvement and your commitment to under-served communities
- Letter from medical, osteopathic or podiatric school confirming good academic standing
- Two letters of recommendation: one letter from a medical, osteopathic or podiatry school professor/clinician and one letter describing/supporting your work in under-served communities.
- All supporting documentation and letters must be submitted through the online application in PDF format.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered
- Applications are accepted September through November annually.
- Candidates selected for final consideration will be invited for a phone interview in December/January.
- Scholarship winners will be announced in March.
- Awards will be presented to winners in person at an event in the late summer, or fall.
I feel Kaiser sees the doctor I want to be. I am honored to be recognized for my accomplishments and to be supported by an organization like Kaiser Permanente.
– Past Scholarship Recipient
2019 KPNC Medical Student Scholarship Awardees
Anchal Ahluwalia, Howard University College of Medicine
Melissa An, University of Missouri School of Medicine
Ryan Brewster, Stanford University School of Medicine
Phillip Chen, UCLA David Geffen School of Medicine
Mahtab Danai, University of CA, Davis School of Medicine
Tyree Davie, University of CA, Davis School of Medicine
Alana Freifeld, CA Northstate University College of Medicine
Roxana Garcia, University of CA, San Francisco
Sahand Ghodrati, Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine
Nelly Gonzalez-Lepage, Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine
David Ivanov, Mayo Clinic School of Medicine
Avanthi Jayaweera, Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine
Brittni Kam, John A. Burns School of Medicine, University of Hawaii at Manoa
Andreas Lazaris, Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University
Chad Lewis, Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth
Simon Ma, University of CA, San Francisco
Jessie Mai, University of CA, San Francisco
Sheyla Medina, Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University
Maia Mosse, Stanford University School of Medicine
Deborah Oyeyemi, Duke School of Medicine
Enid Picart, University of CA, Davis School of Medicine
Esmeralda Rosales, University of Illinois College of Medicine
Ashwath Sampath, University of Missouri School of Medicine
Geraldine Shirzai, University of Illinois College of Medicine
Anu Stephen, CA Northstate University College of Medicine
Jason Tran, University of CA, Riverside School of Medicine
Nefertiti Tyehemba, SUNY Upstate College of Medicine
Cyrus Washington, Howard University College of Medicine
Bersabel Woldemariam, Touro University Nevada, College of Osteopathic Medicine
Giovani Zelada, University of CA, Davis School of Medicine
For questions regarding the scholarship, please contact Kaitlin Sands.