The faculty and residents of the Internal Medicine Residency Program at Kaiser Permanente San Francisco invite you to learn about and apply to our program. Our mission is to train diverse, compassionate internists in an academically rigorous and supportive environment who provide equitable care as clinicians, educators, and leaders.
We provide rigorous academic training at our hospital that serves as a tertiary referral center within the Kaiser Permanente Northern California health system. Our program offers a diverse patient population with a broad range of clinical pathology, dedicated and skilled faculty, flexibility for research and individualized electives, and the benefits of practicing in our fully integrated health care model that provides coordinated, high-quality care with better health outcomes. Graduates of our program secure positions in highly competitive fellowship training programs and primary care or hospital-based practices.
Each intern class is comprised of 12 categorical (three-year) positions and 7 preliminary positions. Two of the twelve categorical positions are in our four-year, combined Internal Medicine/Public Health and General Preventive Medicine track through a partnership with the University of California San Francisco.
An Academic Tradition
- A proud tradition of training internal medicine residents since 1954.
- A supportive learning environment within an academic teaching center with dedicated clinician, educator, and research faculty across all specialties.
- Home to the Northern California Kaiser Permanente Cardiology, Gastroenterology, Hematology/Oncology, Nephrology, HIV Medicine, and Community Medicine and Urban Health Fellowship programs.
- One of only six combined Internal Medicine/Preventive Medicine residency programs in the United States.
- Training site for third and fourth-year UCSF medical students, including the year-long Kaiser Longitudinal Integrated Clerkship (KLIC) program.
- Home to the Kaiser Permanente San Francisco Obstetrics and Gynecology residency program and clinical site for multiple other affiliated residency and fellowship programs in pediatrics, general surgery, emergency medicine, anesthesiology, podiatry, otolaryngology, ophthalmology, psychiatry, and addiction medicine.
Cutting Edge of Clinical Medicine
- Kaiser Permanente is one of America’s leading health care delivery systems with a focus on disease prevention, health promotion, coordination of care, and quality outcomes. Our unique, fully integrated model of health care model combines health coverage and care delivery in a way that drives coordination of care across all settings and better health outcomes for our patients.
- Kaiser Permanente cares for 4.6 million patients in Northern California, or roughly 50% of the population.
- All residents are issued a KP iPhone that allows easy access to our electronic health record, video visits with patients, video interpreters, HIPAA-compliant text messaging, and a variety of point-of-care medical resources, including an institutional subscription to UpToDate.
- Dedicated point-of-care ultrasound devices for each ward and ICU team.
- Dedicated elective time for research projects with mentoring and support from our onsite GME Research Program Manager, Aida Shirazi, PhD, and the Regional Kaiser Permanente Division of Research.
- Quality improvement curriculum, including opportunities for resident-driven QI projects.
- Institutional support for resident presentations of case reports, original research, and quality improvement projects at local and national conferences.
Great Faculty & Residents
- Diverse and tight-knit group of residents, with a culture of camaraderie and collaboration.
- Enthusiastic faculty with a passion for medical education, supported by a robust faculty development program.
- Skilled clinicians, educators, researchers, and dedicated mentors across a wide range of specialties.
Living in San Francisco
- Vibrant culture, unmatched diversity, world-class dining, breathtaking natural beauty, with vast opportunities for leisure and recreational activities.
- Proximity to many other destinations of choice throughout the Bay Area and Northern California.