Nurturing Resident Wellness
Family Medicine residency is an intense period of medical training that has multiple competing imperatives testing the physical, emotional, intellectual, mental, and social capacities of the physician. Our program is committed to the strengthening of the components of wellness that promote resilience and joy in our work. We know that a physician who has good self-care takes better care of patients. It is our priority to nurture health and well-being and empower our residents to thrive.
- Walkable/Bikeable. The residency clinic is in beautiful downtown Sacramento within a few minutes from shopping, food, and entertainment. Sacramento boasts miles of beautiful trails along the American River.
- Bountiful organic foods/fruits/vegetables/nuts at local farmer’s markets. We are the “Farm to Fork” city.
- Monthly gym membership reimbursement provided, with a major gym two blocks from clinic.
- Year-round physical activities such as hiking, camping, skiing, biking, and outdoor water activities in Sacramento and surrounding areas.
- Total health assessment via online tool.
- Adjustable work stations in continuity clinics.
- Regular team-building and social activities for residents only; for residents and attendings; and for residents, faculty, and families.
- Regular meetings to learn about each other.
- Residents are paired with a non-faculty mentor.
- Participate in social gatherings with coworkers and faculty.
- Educational stipend for continued education.
- Resilience and wellness lecture series.
- Time management support and electronic medical record coaching.
- Journal Club.
- Communications training.
- Research opportunities.
- Global health experience opportunity.
- Monthly Balint sessions with a qualified psychologist.
- Regular sessions with an outside behavioral health expert for personal growth review and support.
- Focus on Stress management/sleep deprivation mitigation.
- Meaning and purpose. Multiple volunteer opportunities available.
- Participate in the robust KP Cares Program.
- Opportunity to do pro bono sports physicals for low income high schools.
- Participate in Food Drive for Food Bank.
- Ample opportunities to participate in community work.
- Run to Feed the Hungry Teams
- Holiday gift drive
- Community health screening (Family Fit Fest or other).
- Opportunities to volunteer time and provide medical services to one homeless shelter every year.
- Opportunity to attend expert lectures to help manage economic life; investment, debt management.
- Facility focus on recycle, reduce, reuse.
- Bike (safe storage on site), mass transit (train, light rail, buses within a couple of blocks of the clinic).
- Participate in Safety lectures at local schools (car seat use, seat belt use, helmet use, texting while driving).
- Spend time outdoors
- Community outreach for smoking cessation, vaping cessation.