The faculty and residents of the Internal Medicine Residency Program at Kaiser San Francisco enthusiastically invite you to apply to our residency program. Our mission is to foster a rigorous yet nurturing environment to train the next generation of highly skilled, compassionate internists who serve the diverse healthcare needs of our community.
We offer rigorous academic training at a busy tertiary referral hospital within the larger Kaiser health system. Our residents receive excellent clinical training through our ethnically and socioeconomically diverse patient population; fully integrated healthcare system; dedicated and skilled faculty; flexibility for research and unique electives; advanced healthcare IT to optimize patient care delivery; and an unwavering commitment to resident wellness. Graduates of our program routinely secure the most competitive and desirable practice and fellowship positions.
Each intern class is comprised of ten categorical (three-year) positions and eight (one-year) preliminary positions. Two of the ten categorical positions are in our four-year combined Internal Medicine/Preventive Medicine track.
An Academic Tradition
- A proud tradition of training highly skilled internists since 1954.
- One of only six combined Internal Medicine/Preventive Medicine residency programs in the country.
- Training site for third-year UCSF students participating in the year-long Kaiser Longitudinal Integrated Clerkship (KLIC) program.
- Home to the Northern California Kaiser Cardiology Fellowship Program.
- New Gastroenterology and Hematology/Oncology Fellowship Programs starting July 2019.
- New Community Medicine and Urban Health fellow based at Kaiser San Francisco also starting in July 2019, who will work with our residents in local community primary care clinics to care for the underserved population.
- Multiple KP and affiliated residencies and fellowship programs on site, including: Pediatrics, Surgery, Emergency Medicine, Anesthesiology, Podiatry, Otolaryngology, Ophthalmology, Psychiatry, Patient Safety, and Addiction Medicine.
Cutting Edge of Clinical Medicine
- Kaiser Permanente is one of America’s leading healthcare delivery systems with a focus on disease prevention, health promotion, coordination of care, and quality outcomes. Fully integrated at all levels, we can provide seamless care across the continuum of care.
- A busy tertiary care referral center for the complex care needs of Kaiser patients throughout Northern California, including transgender care, transcatheter aortic valve replacement, complex percutaneous interventions, pulmonary hypertension, adult congenital heart disease, advanced endoscopy, inflammatory bowel disease, gastrointestinal oncology, biliary surgery, and high-risk obstetrics.
- KP iPhones for each resident provides access to our EHR, HIPAA-compliant text messaging, video visits with patients, and a variety of point-of-care medical resources, including an institutional subscription to UpToDate.
- Dedicated point-of-care ultrasound machines for each ward team and the ICU.
- Dedicated elective time for research, mentoring and support from our onsite GME Research Program Manager, Aida Shirazi, PhD, and the Regional Kaiser Permanente Division of Research.
- Access to the rich clinical databases and disease registries at the KP Division of Research.
- Institutional support for presentations at local and national conferences.
- Flexibility to conduct research at other institutions.
Great Faculty & Residents
- Diverse yet tight-knit group of residents, with a culture of camaraderie and collaboration.
- Enthusiastic faculty with a passion for medical education.
- Skilled clinicians and dedicated mentors supported by a robust faculty development program.
Living in San Francisco
- Vibrant culture, unmatched diversity, world-class dining, breathtaking natural beauty, with vast opportunities for leisure and recreational activities.
- Proximity to many other destinations of choice throughout the Bay Area and Northern California.