The faculty and residents of the Internal Medicine Residency Program at Kaiser Permanente San Francisco enthusiastically invite you to learn about and apply to our program. Our mission is to train the next generation of highly skilled, compassionate internists in an academically rigorous and nurturing environment who can meet the diverse health care needs of the communities we serve.
We offer rigorous academic training at our hospital that serves as a tertiary referral center within the Kaiser Permanente Northern California health system. Our program offers excellent clinical training with a broad range of clinical pathology in our diverse patient population, the benefits of practicing within a fully integrated health care system, dedicated and skilled faculty, flexibility for research and unique electives, an advanced health care IT infrastructure to optimize patient care delivery, and an unwavering commitment to resident wellness. Graduates of our program routinely secure positions in the most competitive and desirable fellowship training programs, primary care or hospital-based practice.
Each intern class is comprised of eleven categorical (three-year) positions and eight (one-year) preliminary positions. Two of the eleven categorical positions are in our four-year, combined Internal Medicine/Preventive Medicine through a partnership with the University of California San Francisco.
An Academic Tradition
- A proud tradition of training highly skilled internists since 1954.
- One of only six combined Internal Medicine/Preventive Medicine residency programs in the country.
- Training site for third-year UCSF students in the year-long Kaiser Longitudinal Integrated Clerkship (KLIC) program.
- Home to Northern California Kaiser Cardiology, Gastroenterology, and Hematology/Oncology, and Community Medicine and Urban Health Fellowship programs
- Home to the Kaiser Permanente SF Obstetrics/Gynecology residency program and clinical site for multiple other affiliated residency and fellowship programs in pediatrics, general surgery, emergency medicine, anesthesiology, podiatry, otolaryngology, ophthalmology, psychiatry, and addiction medicine.
Cutting Edge of Clinical Medicine
- Kaiser Permanente is one of America’s leading health care delivery systems with a focus on disease prevention, health promotion, coordination of care, and quality outcomes. Because of our fully integrated model of health care, we are uniquely positioned to provide seamless care across the continuum.
- Kaiser Permanente San Francisco is a busy, tertiary care referral center for the complex care needs of Kaiser patients throughout Northern California, including structural heart disease, pulmonary hypertension, adult congenital heart disease, advanced endoscopy, complex liver disease, inflammatory bowel disease, gastrointestinal and gynecological oncology, transgender care, high-risk obstetrics, hepatobiliary surgery, and cardiac surgery.
- All residents are issued a KP iPhone that allows easy access to our electronic health record, video visits with patients, video interpreters, HIPAA-compliant text messaging, and a variety of point-of-care medical resources, including an institutional subscription to UpToDate.
- Dedicated point-of-care ultrasound machines for each ward and ICU team and ultrasound simulation training program.
- Dedicated elective time for research with mentoring and support from our onsite GME Research Program Manager, Aida Shirazi, PhD, and the Regional Kaiser Permanente Division of Research.
- Quality improvement curriculum taught by faculty and the IM/PM Chief Residents, including resident-driven QI projects that are presented annually at the Kaiser Permanente San Francisco Research Symposium.
- Institutional support for resident presentations of case reports, original research, and quality improvement projects at local and national conferences.
Great Faculty & Residents
- Diverse yet tight-knit group of residents, with a culture of camaraderie and collaboration.
- Enthusiastic faculty with a passion for medical education, supported by a robust faculty development program.
- Skilled clinicians and dedicated mentors across a wide range of specialties.
Living in San Francisco
- Vibrant culture, unmatched diversity, world-class dining, breathtaking natural beauty, with vast opportunities for leisure and recreational activities.
- Proximity to many other destinations of choice throughout the Bay Area and Northern California.