Welcome to Kaiser Permanente Santa Rosa’s Family Medicine Residency! We welcomed our first class of six residents in July 2018. Our exciting new program builds on Kaiser Permanente’s over 70-year commitment to graduate medical education and the long heritage of Santa Rosa as a model for full-scope Family Medicine practice and education. As one of the first residents of Kaiser Permanente Santa Rosa’s unopposed family medicine residency, you will experience a rigorous and rewarding curriculum, designed intentionally for the future of family medicine. You will have the opportunity to help shape the culture of our program, care for our diverse patient population, and learn from an enthusiastic faculty, graduating at the end of 3 years fully prepared to be an outstanding family physician wherever you choose to practice.
LIVE: Establish roots in the community where you live and work
- Most faculty and residents live in Santa Rosa/Sonoma County, where we care for over 50% of the Santa Rosa population—even as a resident, you will be known as a doctor in the community
- Farm-to-table culture with wineries, microbreweries, and local farmers markets
- Endless year-round outdoor activities: bike, run, kayak, ski, camp, hike, and more!
- Ethnically diverse, family-oriented and LGBTQ-friendly community with easy access to the NorCal Coast, Redwoods, Lake Tahoe, and San Francisco/Bay Area
- Experience the close-knit #SonomaStrong community that has come together since the 2017 North Bay Fires
LEARN: We do more than train physicians; we train healthcare leaders
- Unopposed, non-service dependent residency means maximal learning in a supportive environment
- Enthusiastic, skilled faculty passionate about teaching residents and medical students
- Full scope training: high volume OB (hospital has >150 deliveries a month), strong impatient/outpatient pediatric curriculum and robust, high acuity inpatient teaching service
- UCSF affiliation, University of Arizona Integrative Medicine curriculum affiliation
- Longitudinal curricula in community medicine, scholarly activity, geriatrics, behavioral medicine, leadership and advocacy provide the knowledge and skills for graduates to lead sustainable community change
CARE: Provide patient-centered, compassionate care in an integrated system that prioritizes prevention, evidence-based medicine, team-based collaboration, and reducing disparities in health outcomes.
- Care for our medically and socioeconomically diverse patient population reflecting the demographics of Sonoma County, including many Latino, LGBTQ, pediatric, and geriatric patients across all socioeconomic levels. In addition to Spanish, over 29 languages regularly spoken on our campus.
- Psychiatrist, psychologist, and health educator located within the Family Medicine Center to support longitudinal behavioral health and wellness for your patients
- Seamless, 24/7 access to specialists in a culture that strongly values collaboration and collegiality
- Superb, evidence-based education utilizing simulation (both high fidelity mannequins and standardized patients), mobile and iPhone-based technology, point of care ultrasound training, and innovative learning techniques
- Learn team-based, interdisciplinary care and population health management in a true patient-centered medical home model
- Partnership with FQHC Petaluma Health Center, Jewish Free Community Clinic, and Ceres Community Project to care for our most vulnerable and marginalized community members.
THRIVE: Doctors who take better care of themselves, take better care of their patients
- Protected time once a week for facilitated support for resident wellness and resilience: Personal & Professional Development groups, Balint, and Meaning and Spirituality in Medicine
- No 24 hours call in the entire residency!!! No overnight shifts at all in the first year, and rotations designed to maximize learning and let you sleep in your own bed
- Every resident is paired with a faculty advisor for personal, professional, and academic support throughout the three years of residency
- Access to two on-site gyms and monthly gym membership stipend
- Monthly meal stipend for cafeteria offering healthy and vegetarian options
- Local and Regional Physician Health & Wellness events: sports games, theater, ski trips, hikes, movies, and more
- Inclusive, welcoming Family Medicine Center with residency-led social events, team-building workshops, and both hospital- and clinic-based resident workrooms designed to promote connection and community
Live, Learn, Care, Thrive: Find Your Path and Your Passions at KPSRFMR