The Kaiser Permanente Napa-Solano Community Medicine and Global Health (CMGH) fellowship is designed to train family medicine physicians to become teachers, mentors and leaders in community medicine and global health, with an emphasis on social justice and equity.
- Research opportunities with the guidance of a research project manager
- Local, regional, and national opportunities to present scholarly work
- Established community partners
- Establish community-based projects
- Youth Network Development “Pipeline Development” work
- Enhance Medical Spanish through Kaiser Permamente structured opportunities, local clinics, and global sites
- Funded global health trips
During this 13-month fellowship, fellows will work with CMGH faculty to provide Community-Oriented Primary Care in medically underserved communities, engage in health disparities research and community-based research projects. Fellows will spend some of their clinical time at La Clinica North Vallejo and Ole Health in Napa, occasionally precepting medical students and residents. Additionally, fellows will facilitate relationships between community partners and the Kaiser Napa-Solano Family Medicine Residency Program (KPNSFMRP) to integrate enriching, educational experiences into the resident community medicine rotation and the medical student community medicine sub-internship.
The fellow will chair the Kaiser Permanente Specialists Offering Access to Referral Services Committee which oversees the review and approval of short-term specialty access to uninsured patients at La Clinica, a local FQHC. Responsibilities include facilitating monthly meetings with residents and faculty to review new program submissions, follow-up on previously approved patients, and act as a liaison between KP providers and La Clinica providers.
The fellow will facilitate a quarterly leadership forum series for Napa Valley Community College students involved in the Medical Scholars Program. The primary goal of this series is to develop the students’ research and leadership skills while providing community volunteer opportunities. He/she will work with the research project manager to evaluate the effectiveness of this project and present findings at local and national conferences. The fellow also serves as an instructor and junior faculty member of the KPNSFMRP, through precepting and teaching, health disparities advocacy, research, and clinical practice in resource-poor settings both locally and abroad.
The Kaiser Permanente Napa-Solano Family Medicine Residency program is committed to sustainable and educational global health initiatives which consider the needs of the local community through direct clinical work, health education, or other support activities. Working in conjunction with the global health advisor, the fellow will help support global health opportunities for the KPNS family medicine residents and fourth year medical students completing a family medicine sub-internship with a focus on global health. The fellow will also assist with global health didactic sessions and mentoring the residents and medical students participating in global health activities. The fellowship culminates with a yearly global health trip with residents as part of the residents’ leadership curriculum, with an emphasis on community health development and sustainable projects in a Honduran community. Additionally, to further the fellow’s global health education, the CMGH fellow will take part in an online global health course, attend the AAFP Global Health Workshop, and have the opportunity to participate in global health trips including KP Global Health sites such as:
- Honduras – ENLACE Foundation
- Ecuador – Cacha Medical Spanish Institute
- Guatemala – Hospital de La Familia
- Kenya – The Matibabu/Tibia Foundations
- Zambia – University Teaching Hospital
The Community Medicine & Global Health Fellow will:
- Receive training and career development through practical experience and the development of tools in the areas of teaching, health disparities research, advocacy, leadership and clinical care under direct faculty mentorship.
- Provide direct support to local FQHCs and other community partners to meet the shared goals of eliminating health disparities and systemic racism and oppression, reducing community violence and supporting culturally mindful, integrated approaches to community health.
- Support local and regional Community Benefits by assisting in implementation and oversight of community-based strategies to address identified community health needs.
- Instruct, supervise and precept KPNSFM residents and medical students training in community based and international health sites.
- Support the residency’s program travel to established and potential global health training sites with priority given to international training sites that reflect the local demographics of Napa and Solano counties.
KP Global Health
The Challenges of Global Health (Duke University)
Salary and Benefits
- Competitive salary
- Benefits: Medical and dental coverage, 4 weeks paid vacation, educational stipend, $1500 relocation stipend, $2000 housing allowance, stipends for 4 global health trips, monthly hospital meal allowance, gym membership reimbursement up to $60/month
Community Medicine & Global Health Graduates
|Tessa Stecker, MD||Program Director, KP Northern California Community Medicine Fellowships
Program Director, KP Northern California Health Policy Elective
Outpatient Family Medicine, Faculty, Kaiser Permanente Napa-Solano Family Medicine Residency Program
|Elizabeth Iten, MD||Faculty Member, John Muir Family Medicine Residency Program
UCSF Educational Alliance Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and
|Christina Kinnevey, MD||Assistant Professor, Primary Care Department, Touro University
Addiction Medicine Specialist
Buprenorphine Treatment Clinic
|Emily Fisher, MD||Faculty, Kaiser Permanente Napa-Solano Family Medicine Residency Program
Director, Vallejo Mobile Unit
|Jacquaé Walker, MD||Faculty, Kaiser Permanente Napa-Solano Family Medicine Residency Program and Family Practice at KP Fairfield|
|Viviana A. Meléndez Muñiz, MD||Coming Soon|