2022 Summer Clinical Otolaryngology REsearch (SCORE-Oto) Program
Summer Clinical Ob/Gyn REsearch (SCORE-Ob) Program
An 8+ week intensive summer opportunity to pursue research and observe clinical care in either Otolaryngology – Head & Neck surgery or Obstetrics & Gynecology.
NOTE: SCORE-OB Program will NOT be accepting applications for the 2022 summer program cycle. Only SCORE-Oto Program will be accepting applications.
- Sponsored through the Head & Neck Surgery and Obstetrics & Gynecology Departments at Kaiser Permanente Oakland
- Program dates: June 13, 2022 to August 5, 2022 (option to extend additional weeks before or after program dates)
- Students are paired with a faculty mentor to guide them through clinical research project(s) and/or quality improvement projects. Students will be involved in a variety of activities from data entry and chart review, data analysis, abstract/manuscript preparation, etc.
- 4 days per week dedicated to clinical research
- 1 day per week in ambulatory clinic or observing in the operating room
- Up to 4 slots available for Otolaryngology and 2 slots* available for Ob/Gyn
- Stipend of up to $400/week
- NOTE: Depending on the COVID-19 situation, part/all of the 2022 program may be virtual/remote – we will keep you updated of any possible program changes.
Click on the article and links to learn more about the projects and accomplishments of the past years’ SCORE Program and participants.
Previous Publications & Presentations by SCORE students can be reviewed here.
Nathan Calixto, UC Irvine (HNS)
Whitney Chaio, UCSF (HNS)
David Corpman, UCSF (HNS)
Twyla Jaymes, Georgetown University (HNS)
Mitchell Anderson, Tufts University (HNS)
Lap Huynh, UCLA (HNS)
Debbie Pan, University of Miami (HNS)
Melissa Socarars, University of Illinois (HNS)
Lucero Diaz, University of Illinois (OB/GYN)
Joanna Poceta, George Washington University (OB/GYN)
Joshua Calton, University of Arizona (HNS)
Nicholas Cheung, USC (HNS)
Christopher Da Silva, University of Chicago (HNS)
Friederike Luetzenberg, University of Central Florida (HNS)
Isabella Silvestre, Cooper Medical School Rowan University (OB/GYN)
Reshma Varghese, George Washington University (OB/GYN)
Lauren Boeckermann, University of Cincinnati (HNS)
Robert Hill, Mercer University (HNS)
Dang-Khoa Nguyen, University of Central Florida (HNS)
Mulin Xiong, Michigan State University (HNS)
Angeleque Hartt, SUNY Downstate (OB/GYN)
Nazineen Kandahari, UCSF (OB/GYN)
Alyssa Ayala, Drexel University School of Medicine (HNS)
Stefan Edemobi, Eastern Virginia Medical School (HNS)
Samir Hassanin, Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School (HNS)
Joseph Shen, Washington State University (HNS)
Sachi Desse, Morehouse School of Medicine (OB/GYN)
Lydia Briggs, Drexel University School of Medicine (HNS)
Kimberly Ramirez, University of Massachusetts Medical School (HNS)
Priyanka Singh, Rutgers New Jersey Medical School (HNS)
Austin Swisher, University of California Riverside School of Medicine (HNS)
Ameisha Tutwiler, University of Toledo College of Medicine (OB/GYN)
How to apply
Only the SCORE-Oto application is available for the Summer 2022 cycle.
Complete the following by January 23, 2022:
- Complete the application below
- Attach your Curriculum Vitae as a PDF file
- Attach your Personal Statement (700 word limit, 12pt font, double-space) as a PDF file: Tell us about yourself; discuss your interest in this program, your interest in the specialty, and your career goals.
- 1 Letter of Recommendation to be sent to Jonathan Liang (firstname.lastname@example.org) by the deadline. This can be from a current or previous mentor, professor, supervisor, employer, etc, who knows you well and commend on your academic potential. IMPORTANT: Please instruct your letter writer to title the correspondence email as “SCORE 2022 LOR for [Applicant Last Name, First Name]” and attach the letter as a PDF or Word file.
KPNC believes that a diverse faculty, workforce, and student body is essential to our long-term success in medicine. We strongly encourage applications from minority candidates who are under-represented in our specialty, and those interested in health care disparity research.
For questions or additional information, please contact:
Jonathan Liang, MD
Director, KPNC SCORE-Oto Program
Kaiser Permanente Oakland
Head & Neck Surgery
Oakland, CA 94611
Eve Zaritsky, MD
Director, KPNC SCORE-Ob Program
Kaiser Permanente Oakland
Oakland, CA 94611