2019 Summer Clinical Otolaryngology REsearch (SCORE-Oto) Program
2019 Summer Clinical Ob/Gyn REsearch (SCORE-Ob) Program
An 8+ week intensive summer opportunity to pursue research and observe clinical care in either Otolaryngology – Head & Neck surgery or Obstetrics & Gynecology.
- Sponsored through the Head & Neck Surgery and Obstetrics & Gynecology Departments at Kaiser Permanente Oakland
- Program dates: June 10 to August 2, 2019 (option to extend to 9 or 10 weeks) OR June 24 to Aug 16, 2019 (8 weeks only)
- Students are paired with a faculty mentor to guide them through clinical research project(s) and/or quality improvement projects. Students will be involved in a variety of activities from data entry and chart review, data analysis, abstract/manuscript preparation, etc.
- 4 days per week dedicated to clinical research
- 1 day per week in ambulatory clinic or observing in the operating room
- Up to 4 slots available for Otolaryngology and 2 slots available for Ob/Gyn
- Stipend of up to $400/week
Click on the article to learn more about the endeavors and accomplishments of the 2016, 2017, and 2018 SCORE Program and participants.
Nathan Calixto, UC Irvine (HNS)
Whitney Chaio, UCSF (HNS)
David Corpman, UCSF (HNS)
Twyla Jaymes, Georgetown University (HNS)
Mitchell Anderson, Tufts University (HNS)
Lap Huynh, UCLA (HNS)
Debbie Pan, University of Miami (HNS)
Melissa Socarars, University of Illinois (HNS)
Lucero Diaz, University of Illinois (OB/GYN)
Joanna Poceta, George Washington University (OB/GYN)
Joshua Calton, University of Arizona (HNS)
Nicholas Cheung, USC (HNS)
Christopher Da Silva, University of Chicago (HNS)
Friederike Luetzenberg, University of Central Florida (HNS)
Isabella Silvestre, Cooper Medical School Rowan University (OB/GYN)
Reshma Varghese, George Washington University (OB/GYN)
- Chiao W, Durr ML. An Analysis of Sleep Studies Received by Medicare Beneficiaries. Laryngoscope. 2017 Dec;127(12):2891-2896. PMID: 28626986
- Calixto NE, Gregg-Jaymes T, Liang J, Jiang N. Sinus procedures in the Medicare population from 2000 to 2014: A recent balloon sinuplasty explosion. Laryngoscope. 2017; 127(9):1976-1982. PMID: 28397270.
- Calixto N, Chiao W, Durr ML, Jiang N. Age and online presence affect online ratings of otolaryngologists. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 2018; accepted for publication.
- Xiao C, Anderson M, Harless LD, Liang J. Shortcoming in the Diagnosis of Chronic Rhinosinusitis: Evaluating Accuracy by Otolaryngologists versus Primary Care Physicians. Intl Forum Allergy Rhinology. 2018 Jun 14 [Epub ahead of print].
- Anderson M, Liang J. Trends in Inferior Turbinate Surgery: Analysis of Patients Using Medicare Database. Intl Forum Allergy Rhinology. 2018 Jul 10 [Epub ahead of print].
- Poceta J, Wenzel C, Ooms T, Huffaker S, Sprowels C, Zaritsky E. Surgery Education Classes in a High-Volume Interdisciplinary Transgender Program: Enhancing Informed Consent and Surgery Readiness. International Journal of Transgender Health August 2018.
- Nguyen N. Merchant M, Weintraub M, Salyer C, Poceta J, Diaz L, Zaritsky E. Alternative Treatment Utilization Before Hysterectomy for Benign Gynecologic Conditions at a Large Integrated Health System. JMIG August 2018.
- Socarras MA, Landau BP, Durr ML. Diagnostic Techniques and Surgical Outcomes for Persistent Pediatric Sleep Apnea: A Meta-Analysis. Podium presentation at the Triological Society Combined Sections meeting, Scottsdale, AZ, January 2018.
- Lin JK, Sakoda LC, Darbinian J, Chiao W, Calixto N, Gurushanthaiah D, Wang KH, Durr ML. Understanding the Natural History of Papillary Thyroid Cancer: A Case Series. Podium presentation at the Triological Society Combined Sections meeting, Scottsdale, AZ, January 2018.
- Calixto NE, Chiao W, Durr ML, Jiang N. Age and Online Presence Affect ENT Physician Online Grades. Podium Presentation at the American Academy of Otolaryngology Annual Meeting, Chicago, IL, September 2017.
- Masroor F, Pan D, Wei J, Jiang N. The incidence of idiopathic vocal fold paralysis: a population-based study. Combined Otolaryngology Sections Meeting, National Harbor, Maryland. Poster Presentation. 2018 April.
- Pan D, Jiang N. Outcomes of Intubation-induced Vocal Fold Paralysis and Paresis. Combined Otolaryngology Sections Meeting, National Harbor, Maryland. Oral Presentation. 2018 April.
- Calixto N, Gregg-James T, Liang J, Jiang N. Sinus Procedure Trends in the Medicare Population from 2000-2014: A Recent Explosion of Balloon Sinuplasty Procedures. Combined Triological Society Meeting New Orleans, LA. Oral Presentation. 2017 January.
- Anderson M, Liang J. Trends in Inferior Turbinate Surgery: Analysis of Patients Using Medicare Database. Triological Society Combined Sections Meeting, Scottsdale AZ. Oral Presentation. 2018 Jan.
- Diaz L, Anderson M, Pocetta J, Nguyen NT, Weintraub ML, Liang J, Zaritsky E. Mentoring Medical Students in Obstetrics/Gynecology and Otolaryngology Research: A Novel Program. Innovations in Medical Education Conference, Los Angeles CA. Poster Presentation. 2018 Feb.
- Xiao C, Anderson M, Harless LD, Liang J. Shortcoming in the Diagnosis of Chronic Rhinosinusitis: Evaluating Accuracy by Otolaryngologists versus Primary Care Physicians. Combined Otolaryngologic Sections Meeting, National Harbor MD. Oral Presentation. 2018 Apr.
- Poceta J, Diaz L, Weintraub M, Minikel L, Zaritsky E. Mentoring Medical Students in Obstetrics/Gynecology and Otolaryngology Research: A Novel Program. Oral Presentation Workshop at CREOG/APGO March 2018.
- Poceta J, Wenzel C, Ooms T, Huffaker S, Sprowels C, Zaritsky E. Surgery Education Classes in a High-Volume Interdisciplinary Transgender Program: Enhancing Informed Consent and Surgery Readiness. UCSF transgender health conference November 2017.
- Handler T, Varghese R, Hojila C, Hupfer T, Wellenstein W, Watson S, Zaritsky E. Characteristics and Health Care Needs of Pediatric Patients with Gender Dysphoria. Oral Presentation for World Professional Association for Transgender Health Presentation November 2018, Pacific Coast Obstetrics and Gynecology Society September 2018
How to apply
Complete the following by January 13, 2019:
- Complete the application below
- Attach your curriculum vitae as a PDF
- Attach your personal statement (700 word limit, 12pt font, double-space) as a PDF file: Tell us about yourself; discuss your interest in this program, your interest in the specialty, and your career goals.
- Attach 1 Letter of Recommendation as a PDF file: This can be from a current or previous mentor, professor, supervisor, employer, etc, who knows you well and commend on your academic potential.
KPNC believes that a diverse faculty, workforce, and student body is essential to our long-term success in medicine. We strongly encourage applications from minority candidates who are under-represented in our specialty, and those interested in health care disparity research.
The 2019 application is closed.
For questions or additional information, please contact:
GME SCORE Coordinator
Graduate Medical Education
3600 Broadway, 4th FL
Oakland, CA 94611
Jonathan Liang, MD
Director, KPNC SCORE-Oto Program
Kaiser Permanente Oakland
Head & Neck Surgery
Oakland, CA 94611
Eve Zaritsky, MD
Director, KPNC SCORE-Ob Program
Kaiser Permanente Oakland
Oakland, CA 94611