Kaiser Oakland is a tertiary care center for pediatrics in Northern California. We serve a diverse and highly complex patient population on our ward and in our PICU that includes general, subspecialty, complex care and surgical pediatric patients. The goal of the PHM fellowship program is to train fellows to become skilled clinicians who provide high quality (safe, efficient, and effective) health care to hospitalized children. Each fellow will be trained in teaching skills, quality improvement, and research. Kaiser Oakland has a close relationship with the University of California San Francisco and UC Berkeley, and PHM fellows have the opportunity to participate in training opportunities at both sites, including a Masters of Public Health program at UC Berkeley and PICU training at UCSF.
Clinical experiences include 3 months of inpatient ward co-attending, 2 months as a PICU fellow/co-attending, 2 months of transport call, and 2 months of surgery hospital medicine. Electives include anesthesia, palliative care, and sedation service.
Clinical service with one ward and one transport call each month. The focus of the second year is the development of a scholarly product in the area of interest of the fellow. Options include training and formal courses in clinical research, leadership, or public health.
The fellow will receive specific instruction in teaching skills and will be mentored in this area by one or more faculty members with an interest in medical education. Requirements include:
- Develop lectures for medical students/residents at Kaiser Oakland.
- Present 1 journal club for the pediatric house staff at Kaiser Oakland each year
- Present 1 inpatient Morbidity & Mortality conference each academic year
- Teaching and supervision of UCSF medical students and Kaiser Oakland pediatrics residents while co-attending on inpatient wards
Graduates of ACGME accredited Pediatric or Med-Peds residency programs are eligible to apply. We are not able to accept applicants with VISAs at this time.
As of 2015, Kaiser Oakland PHM fellowship program is participating in the NRMP match. Applicants will be required to register for the NRMP match at http://www.nrmp.org/fellowships/pediatrics-specialties-fall-match.
There will be 1 fellow every 2 year cycle accepted into the program.
We use a common electronic application found at http://phmfellows.org/.
Applications are now being accepted. Interviews will be held in November.
NRMP Fall Match Rank List is due November 30, 2016.
Required application materials:
- Common application which includes CV and one page statement outlining applicant’s interest in PHM fellowship training at Kaiser Oakland, special interests in hospital medicine and career goals
- Three Letters of recommendation (one must be from applicant’s residency program director)
Ritu J Patel, MD
PHM Fellowship Program Director Kaiser Oakland Medical Center
Heather Caputo, MD
Pediatric Hospital Medicine Fellowship Associate Program Director
Ritu Patel, MD
Pediatric Hospital Medicine Fellowship Program Director